Steve has never tried eggplant before and I have never cooked with it before. I decided it was time to start a new adventure by making a delicious meal with our friend the eggplant. It was on sale at the store this week so I bought two huge purple eggplants. Lets just say it freaked Steve out a little bit when he first saw them, I tried to hide them but it wasn't easy and I quote, "What are these giant purple dinosaur eggs doing in our fridge? They're huge!".
Ingredients:
One large eggplant
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2tsp. salt
Fresh ground pepper
1tsp dried oregano
1tsp dried parsley
2 cups bread crumbs
Fresh Basil leaves
mozzarella cheese
Fresh tomatoes
Directions:
Peel and slice the eggplant into 1/4'' slices. Sprinkle each side with salt to get the bitterness out of the eggplant. Let it stand for 30 minutes until the salt draws out the water. Whisk the milk, flour, vinegar, salt, pepper and spices together in a large bowl. Once the eggplant is ready preheat the oven to 450. Rinse the salt off the eggplant slices and pat dry with a towel. Dip each slice in the batter and then in the bread crumbs and place it on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake for 8-9 minutes on each side, watch it closely they should be golden crispy brown. Top with tomatoes, fresh basil leaves/leaf and mozzarella cheese. Bake or broil until the cheese is melted. Serve with ravioli or pasta or on top of toasted sliced baguette, topped with a generous amount of pasta sauce.
Inspired by:
http://ohsheglows.com/2011/11/08/eggplant-parmesan/
No comments:
Post a Comment