Monday, May 21, 2012

Easter Rice Pilaf

So I am playing catch up with the recipes I have found, made and loved.  School got really crazy in March and April but I didn't stop cooking, trust me.  
For Easter this year Steve made a Vegan Mac 'n Cheese from the blog Oh she glows and I made Artichokes boiled with a few bay leaves and garlic cloves and a sliced lemon.  Also I made a delicious sauce with veganaise and balsamic vinegar that was amazing! Then I made a rice pilaf that was absolutely perfect and tied everything together.

Middle-Eastern Wild Rice Pilaf:


1TB olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
2-3 carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 1/2 cup vegetable broth (I used Better than Bouillon)
1/2 cup uncooked wild rice
1/4 cup lentils (optional)
1 cup uncooked jasmin rice
1tsp cumin
1/2 tsp smoked paprica
11/2tsp turmeric
3/4 cup frozen peas (optional)


Directions:
1. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.  Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook until tender.  Stir in broth, wild rice and lentils, heat to a boil.  Cook over low heat covered for 25 minutes.
2. Stir in jasmin rice, cover and cook for 20 minutes or until the rice is done.  Stir in the peas until warm and then add the spices.

Tasty tradition!

Watch out! The artichoke protects its heart. 

Cooking the rice pilaf


No comments:

Post a Comment